Congrats to all of our Rookies who Rumbled today – Aaron, Christian, Christina, Dave, Kate, and Kevin! I was impressed with all the personal records that were set today and with each of you for pushing yourselves outside of your comfort zone! Everyone really gave it their heart and soul and it was fun to watch!
And a special thanks to all of our supporters who came to cheer our competitors on through a series of 3 workouts. It was a perfect CrossFit day and a great dinner at Pub Republic to cap it all off. The Genesis spirit was well represented today!!!
And along our regularly scheduled program, today’s Paleo Zone challenge tip centers around food preparation. If you are anything like me, a little over a week into the challenge, you are probably noticing that you are eating a whole lot more vegetables and fruit than you ever imagined! And, I’m craving more variety in my diet than my current go-to orange/pear combination. I was talking with Jake, who is one of the owners of Tara Firma and one of our members, and he is wiling to give members of Genesis a special deal for their CSA Meat and Vegetable Boxes. $15 activation fee is waived and a $20 credit off of your first order. You can customize what types of food you want to receive, frequency, and everything is delivered right to your door in Petaluma! Just click here to sign-up.
And our workout tomorrow is:
1-1-1-1-1-1-1 Push Jerk (for 15 minutes)
(Please don’t drop the weight unless for safety reasons; re-rack)
11 Minute AMRAP
9 Dumbbell Front Squat 50#/90# (25 pair dumbbells, 45 pair dumbbells)
13 weighted sit-ups 15#/25#
Dumbbell Front Squat => Barbell Front Squat 105/75
Sit-ups => GHD
Do not combine with Endurance – we want this workout to feel like more of a sprint for you.
11 Minutes => 17 Minutes
Remember that tomorrow is Day Two of our CrossFit Open workouts, with an 8am and 9am class. In addition to trying the Open yourself, you are also welcome to use the time as Open gym to catch up on a workout that you missed during the week or practice a skill. Or, come and cheer on the competitors, the more the merrier!
Every 3 minutes for as long as possible complete:
2 rounds of:
10 overhead squats
10 chest-to-bar pull-ups
2 rounds of:
12 overhead squats
12 chest-to-bar pull-ups
2 rounds of:
14 overhead squats
14 chest-to-bar pull-ups
Etc., following same pattern until you fail to complete both rounds.
3 Rounds for Time:
30 Scissor Jump Lunges
20 Mountain Climber Burpees
10 Box Jumps 24″
Keeping with our March tradition, a simple recipe for Beef Stew, very similar to one of the recipes that we used at the CrossFit Games catering event:
4 lbs Grass-fed Beef or Bison Stew Meat
2 large yellow onions, rough chopped
4 cloves garlic finely chopped
12 oz Mushrooms (I prefer a mixed variety)
2 sweet potatos, rough chopped
5 large carrots, rough chopped
3 Tbs olive oil
Yield: 55 Protein Blocks; 16 Carb Blocks (if you want this higher, more balanced, then add more sweet potatos); 27 Fat Blocks
- Marinate the meat in your favorite Italian or western marinate. I used the beef rub that I posted 2 days ago. If you are using a rub, then you can proceed right away to step 2, otherwise with a marinade, you will need to let sit overnight
- Brown the meat in the olive oil in a saute pan, remove and set aside
- Saute the onions and garlic until clear
- Add the mushrooms and saute for another 2 minutes
- Add beef, onions, mushroom, and garlic to a slow cooker
- Add the sweet potatos and carrots to the slow cooker
- Let cook on low for 8 hours, stirring occasionally
- Season with salt, pepper, basil, and red pepper to taste
And our workout of the day will be another Rookie Rumble Workout. Remember that the competition is this Sunday in Hercules. A bunch of us are carpooling there to cheer our Genesis competitors on and have a great time. If you don’t have a carpool and want to go, just post to comments.
5×3 Front Squat, then
WOD #2 Leprechaun Ladder
starts with 2 reps and increases by 2 reps every round 2-4-6-8-10-12……
***Thrusters- must be below 90 on the squat and a full lock out of hips, knees and arms at the top of the movement. Lying wipers- lying on the ground holding the bar above you (like a lockout bench press) feet must start on the ground, lift up and touch the bumper plate, return to the ground and then touch the oposite side. Your foot MUST touch the bumper plate for the rep to count.
Today’s recipe comes from Stephanie and Nick for Babaganoush, which you saw in their #genesisFOD picture the other day.
1/4 cup tahini (pureed sesame seeds)
2 cloves of roasted garlic (raw is too intense for me- but if you LOVE garlic, go raw).
1/8 tsp Chili power
1/8 tsp cumin
- On a gas grill preheat to high for 10 minutes.
- Slice 2 globe eggplants in half lengthwise, score the meat. Face down on the grill for 5 minutes. Flip, face up for 10 minutes.
- Skin should be almost blackened, and eggplant very tender.
- (THIS CAN EASILY BE DONE IN A HOT PRE-HEATED OVEN AS WELL- 500 degree oven in the middle rack for 45 minutes.)
- Let the eggplant cool. Stick in colander for excess moisture to drain off.
- Once cool and drained, mix the meat of the eggplant (approx. 2 cups) in a blender/food processor/vitamix with:
- Drizzle with olive oil
- Garnish with parsley and toasted sesame seeds
- Scoop with carrots, cucumber, peppers etc!
And of course, dessert is the workout of the day (yes, Shana, I spelled it correctly this time):
3 minutes of Deadlift 225# / 155#
3 minutes of Row (calories)
3 minutes of Double Unders
3 minutes of Wall Ball 20# / 14#